Sunday, July 14, 2013

Stand Out. Stand Up.

I am imperfect.

And Satan reminds me of that daily.

I dwell on the unbearing thought that I have imperfections and flaws that make me who I am. 

I don't always like the fact that I am who I am because of them...


I have recently discovered this blog, chattingatthesky.com, that imposes truth on my fragile heart time and time again. The author of this blog reveals that underneath her put together life, that she is not so put together after all. That she is in desperate need of grace. It really does minister to my soul. You should check it out.



As I read and discover her heart more, I am reminded of my own self. There is a longing that is stirring up inside of me to want to change this dark and desperate world; yet, I seem to lack the courage in every department to move in any sort of direction. Fear hides around the corner no matter where I turn. It hides itself in many ugly forms though.

What will people think of me if I do this?

Are others doing this?

Will I be able to fulfill this mission?

Do I have what it takes?

The list could go on...


In Joshua 1, I sense God's need to remind Joshua to be courageous. Joshua was to succeed Moses in leadership, to lead a large number of people to the land the Lord had reserved for the Israelites. I can only imagine how Joshua was feeling about that daunting task. The Israelites were a tough crowd nonetheless in a larger overview. They had abandoned their God time and time again. Yet, Joshua took up this task. But when God's heart speaks to his servant Joshua, I sense that He is speaking to one who is fearful of the task ahead of him:

 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (1:6-9)

If you missed it, God says to be strong and courageous not just one time but three times. 

Be strong and courageous.
Be strong and very courageous.
Be strong and courageous. 

And lastly God says:

Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged (the opposite of courageous..). 


From these three verses alone, I sense that Joshua was like you and me: scared. He was like any human being with imperfections and doubts that he would never measure up to the ideal person (in his case, Moses). 

But God spoke truth when he needed it the most. And God is speaking it to you and me if we are willing to hear His voice. 

As we go on fighting the fight, let us fight with courage, knowing that our God is the God of courage and strength. 


Find courage.
Be courage.
Live courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment